Garlic-chilli mixed nuts
Better than shop-bought
5/5 Cheaper, nicer and tastier than anything you can buy in the shops. Spicier to! The Judge
This Louisiana speciality is a great snack for special occasions, make these with Louisiana hot pepper sauce (my favourite) or Tabasco sauce, the results are very similar. Packets of roasted nuts seem to have ridiculous amounts of salt so I wouldn't think you would need to add any extra.
- 2 x 200 g packets of salted roasted mixed nuts
- 3 scant tablespoons butter
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 3 tablespoons of Louisiana hot pepper sauce or Tabasco sauce
- 2 scant tablespoons of masa harina - (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 100° C (225° F - gas ¼)
- Over a medium heat, melt the butter in a small pan, add the garlic and sauté until it just starts to colour slightly
- Remove from the heat, add the pepper sauce and stir well
- Toss the mixed nuts in the mixture and spread out on a large baking sheet
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until crisp
- Allow to cool and store in an airtight container, probably in the fridge due to the amount of butter used.
Because the delicious nuts were rather greasy because of the amount of butter I originally used (recipe adjusted now), I added 2 tablespoons of of masa harina to the lock & lock box they were stored in and gave them a good shake. The result is visually appealing and the nuts have the faintest hint of masa, which I love. Doesn't help with the butter though!
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#garlicchillimixednuts #masaharina #scant #butter #tabascosauce #garlic #snack #miseenplace #unusualrecipes #sauce #bake