(Redirected from French cheese fondue)
I have substituted the marvellous Pié d'Angloys cheese for the Vacherin used in Stefan's recipe as it is available all year round and is as ridiculously cheap as it gorgeous. If you want to try the original, Vacherin cheese is usually available from August and end of March. I believe it is available in the UK from Waitrose during this period. Époisses de Bourgogne is another excellent candidate for this recipe.
You could of course try this with more than one cheese, but that would be greedy, wouldn't it?
- 200 g Warm baby new potatoes
- 2 Sliced ciabatta bread rolls
- 150 g selection of thinly sliced cooked meats
- 4 Pickled gherkins
- 2 tablespoons Pickled red cabbage
- 2 Pickled onions
- A selection of raw and blanched vegetables
- 180° C (350° F - gas 4), [fan oven 160° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Take the cheese out of the box and line the box with a layer of good quality tin foil (some are better than others!)
- Line the lid with tin-foil
- Replace the cheese in the box
- Push the centre of the cheese down to make a little 'well'
- Use a fork to punch a few holes in the top of the cheese
- Pour the sherry into the cheese
- Leave it for an hour or so if you have the time
- Replace the lid and bake for 25 minutes
I couldn't get Pié d'Angloys cheese the day I made this so I used what was available from a very limited selection of cheeses at our local supermarket. This was so good - I would try it with any of your favourite cheeses!
- Our selection of other fondue recipes
Nom, nom, nom!
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#cheese #fondue #dip #vacherincheese #miseenplace #pickledredcabbage #bakedcamembert #gherkins #ciabattabread #pickledonions #newpotatoes