Four allia soup
This is a recipe based on French onion soup, but uses four types of the 'Allium' family and has cider as the alcoholic liquid rather than wine and/or brandy. Also I have used a good cheese to sprinkle on top.
- 4 bulbs garlic, whole
- Olive oil
- 2 large onions, coarsely sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 40g butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon of sugar
- Bunch of spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 extremely fat leek or 2 medium ones, sliced thickly and washed thoroughly
- 40g flour
- 1.85 litres boiling vegetable stock
- 150 ml dry cider
- 225g Single Gloucester cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 180 C/350 F/Gas 4.
- Keeping the bulbs intact, slice off the tops so that the flesh of each clove is exposed, and place in foil and put into a baking dish.
- Sprinkle with olive oil and loosely enclose in the foil.
- Bake for about an hour on a low shelf of the oven.
- In the meantime, place the onions in a large pan on a lowish heat, with the tablespoon olive oil and the butter.
- Cover and allow to stew for 15 minutes.
- Add the salt and sugar, and allow to caramelise slightly.
- Add the spring onions and the leeks and cook very gently, uncovered for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, squeeze the garlic cloves from their skins into a bowl.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, stock and the cider and simmer for a further 40 minutes.
- Serve in bowls with the cheese sprinkled on the top.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#fouralliasoup #oliveoil #garlic #cider #cheese #flour #springonions #foil #onions #butter #fat