Ensalada de macarrones y atún
An unusual, but quick and easy macaroni and tuna salad from Uruguay.
For the salad:
- 450 g dried macaroni, boiled, rinsed and drained
- 3 tins tuna in oil, drained and chopped
- 1 tin pineapple chunks, drained
- A few raisins
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the sauce:
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 60 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- Garlic, crushed, to taste
- 1 small lettuce, chopped
- Mix the salad ingredients together in a bowl.
- Beat the sauce ingredients together and mix thoroughly with the salad.
Use any small, tubular pasta shapes you like, such as penne.
60 ml Worcestershire sauce seems a little excessive, so you may wish to reduce the quantity.
Making this for 4 people, I used about 280 g pasta, 2 cans of tuna and most of a small can of pineapple chunks.
For the dressing I only used 30 ml of Worcestershire sauce. I added very finely chopped onions and the crushed garlic to the sauce, not to the salad.
I also added a little olive oil and some lemon juice before mixing well - it helps to make a nice thick dressing. If you leave the dressing for an hour or so before serving the garlic gets a chance to mingle with the dressing. it goes surprisingly well with the pineapple. Pity I forgot the raisins - I must learn to read recipes properly! --Chef 19:13, 13 December 2010 (GMT)
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.