Crumble topping recipe
This recipe is for a basic fruit crumble topping commonly used to cover cooked fruit. I have created this recipe separately as Mum wanted me to make her some crumble on its own!
As a basic rule use 4 parts flour, to 2 parts butter and 2 parts sugar, using less sugar as taste demands.
- 285g (10½ oz) plain flour
- 150g (5oz) butter (preferably unsalted) at room temperature, cut into small cubes.
- * Stork margarine is also good for this recipe.
- 150g (5oz) unrefined brown sugar, Muscovado etc.
- Pinch of cinnamon powder or ginger powder
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F - gas 4)
- By hand
- Sift the plain flour into a large bowl and sprinkle with sugar, salt and spices if using.
- With 'light-hands', gradually rub the butter into the flour a few cubes at a time until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs
- Don't over-work it or it will become a useless dough.
- With a food processor
- Add the flour and butter to a food processor with a plastic blade attachment
- Pulse the mixture in very short bursts, regularly opening and scraping any residue from the edge of the bowl if as it forms
- Once it resembles breadcrumbs sprinkle in the sugar and pulse until combined.
- Don't run it continuously or you will end up with pastry
- Break up any lumps with your fingers before sprinkling and baking.
- Normally you would spoon this mixture over the fruit, if, unusually, you are making it on its own, sprinkle over a lightly buttered 24 cm (9") oven-proof dish
- Bake in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes - keep your eye on it for the last 10 minutes, the transition time between done and burnt is short!
Depending upon your taste, use less sugar. This recipe is fairly sweet for my taste.
- Mango and ginger crumble
- Apple crumble recipe
- Apple crumble recipe (Mum's)
- Traditional crumble topping
Super on rhubarb
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#crumbletoppingrecipe #fruit #plainflour #foodprocessor #butter #brownsugar #gingerpowder #flour #breadcrumbs #applecrumblerecipe #rolledoats