Crabmeat pasta with fennel and chillies
This is my version of Jamie Oliver's Crab Linguine, adapted for two people using home made pasta cut into rustic strips rather that linguine. I've dressed it with fresh parsley and grilled sweetcorn as I can't wait for another chance to play with my Rothenberger MAPP blowtorch!
I've used 2 packets of premium claw crabmeat from Morrisons, about £3.75 per carton Dec 2014.
This was one of the nicest pasta dishes that I've ever made. I'm sure it would be even better made with fresh crab. The sweet corn was absolutely essential for the balance of this dish, it's sweetness of setting the lemony tang.
- 1 portion of home made pasta, cut into rustic strips, or 180 g dried pasta of your choosing.
- 2 x 114 g packs of Premium Claw Crabmeat
- 1 fresh lemons
- Half a bulb of fennel
- 1 small red chilli
- 1 Indian green chilli
- 1 teaspoon of freshly chopped parsley
- 4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- If you're using fresh pasta, don't forget that you are best leaving it in the fridge for an hour or so before you roll it out. For this recipe I'm assuming that you have your pasta already sorted!
- Add the crabmeat to a bowl and add a pinch of black pepper, a good pinch of chopped parsley and any of the green fennel tops if there are any.
- Cut the base of the fennel and trim any grotty bits.
- Grate the fennel bulb into the crab. I've used my new Jamie Oliver acid etched coarse grater. If you have one, mind your fingers. It does a blinding job but it is dreadfully sharp!
- Using a small microplane grater, add the zest of the lemon to the crab meat.
- Deseed the both of the chillies and chop finely. Add half to the crab meat and keep the remainder for dressing the dish.
- Stir up the olive oil with the juice of the zested lemon and mix this together with the chopped parsley, into the crab meat.
- Gently heat the crab meat in a separate pan and cook your pasta in a large pan of boiling water. 3 minutes for fresh pasta, 7 minutes + for dried pasta.
- While the pasta is cooking, microwave the sweet corn for a few minutes and toast it with your blowtorch if you have one. See here for more.
- Drain the pasta, keeping back a ladle of the cooking liquor.
- Mix the pasta into the crabmeat, adding an eggcup full of the pasta water to thin the sauce if needed.
Make your own pasta from scratch
The normal (non-Youtube) recipe for home-made pasta is here if you prefer.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.