Ciorba de fasole (Bean soup)
This recipe needs advance preparation!
This is a winter soup from Romanian and whilst the following is a guideline, you can add whatever ingredients are in season.
- 250 g haricot beans or butter beans, soaked for several hours or overnight
- 100 g smoked bacon, cubed
- 2 litres water or vegetable stock
- Garlic to taste, crushed or sliced
- 250 g or more French beans
- 2 egg yolks
- 150 ml sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Dill, finely chopped, to garnish
- Drain the beans and place in a saucepan with the bacon.
- Add the water or stock, bring to the boil, skim, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for up to about 2 hours until the beans are soft.
- Add the garlic and the French beans and cook for a further 10-15 minutes, adding more water or stock if necessary.
- Mash the haricot or butter beans a little to thicken the soup.
- Mix the eggs yolks, cream and vinegar and stir into the hot soup.
- Season and serve, garnished with the chopped dill.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#soup #vinegar #stock #dill #butterbeans #garlic #beans #bacon #frenchbeans #shredded #vegetablestock