Chorba od janjetina (Lamb soup)
This Serbian soup is often served at Easter
- 900g boneless shoulder or neck of lamb, cut into large cubes
- 3.5 litres lamb stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large Hamburg parsley, peeled and chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 60ml oil or melted lard
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 15g plain flour
- Salt, black pepper and paprika to taste
- 2 large egg yolks
- 225g sour cream
- Put the lamb in a saucepan with the stock and the bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil, skim, reduce heat and simmer.
- Add the Hamburg parsley, the carrots, the celery, the garlic and the tomatoes.
- Return to the boil, reduce heat and continue to simmer for 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Meanwhile, make a roux by heating the oil or lard in a medium saucepan.
- Add the onions and the green pepper, and saute until tender.
- Add the flour gradually, stirring constantly until light brown (about 4 minutes).
- Season with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Add a little of the hot stock from the soup to the roux mixture and stir constantly smooth.
- Pour the roux mixture into the soup pot, mixing thoroughly and simmer until dissolved, about 15 minutes.
- Turn heat off and remove soup from burner.
- Beat 2 large egg yolks until thick.
- Add the sour cream and mix thoroughly.
- Mix the egg yolks with a little hot soup, stirring constantly until smooth.
- Pour the egg yolks into the soup, stirring until the soup has thickened slightly.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve in warmed bowls.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#soup #eggyolks #roux #bayleaves #simmer #parsley #garlic #celery #saucepan #sourcream #tomatoes