Another vegetarian offering for our Gent night.
This recipe is almost identical to The Fabulous Baker Brothers Beans recipe seen on Channel 4 recently.
Access Google's Street View and see 10 years of video history! ...
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) vegetable oil)
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- ½ to 1 teaspoon chilli powder or to taste
- 1 x 400g (14 oz) can of plum tomatoes, chopped
- 142 ml (¼ pint) vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 15 ml (1 tablespoons) black treacle or dark molasses
- 1 x 425 g (15 oz) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 x 425 g (15 oz) can black eye beans, rinsed and drained
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 small red pepper or a few spring onions, chopped (optional)
- Heat the oil in a pan, give it a good grind of black pepper and then sauté the onion and garlic until it softens and starts to take some colour, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the chilli powder over the onions and mix well.
- Add the tomatoes, stock, molasses, mustard and the beans. Bring to the boil vigorously, uncovered for 15 minutes stirring now and then. Simmer for longer if you want a thicker consistency.
- Add the chopped parsley , taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Roast the red pepper, remove the seeds and pith and chop into slices
- Boston baked beans
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.