Chili con queso
A Mexican cheese fondue. Another quick and easy addition to your Tex-Mex night.
When I first saw this recipe I thought that it might need a fondue set but because of the tomatoes and cream it remained liquid enough to eat without requiring any extra heat. It was great with some tortilla chips and odd vegetables.
- To dip:
- 200g bag of tortilla chips
- 1 French stick, sliced
- Sliced carrots, celery, bell peppers and other vegetables
- The fondue:
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and cut into strips
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 tomatoes chopped or 1 small can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons pickled jalapeño
- 1 teaspoon ground white cumin
- 2 red chillies, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano, I used fresh but dried would be fine.
- 225 g (8 oz) Monterey Jack, Emmental or Cheddar cheese, or a mixture of both
- 150 ml single cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Heat the butter in a dutch oven and sauté the onions, garlic and peppers gently until the onions are translucent
- Add the tomatoes, chilli and cumin powder and simmer for 5 minutes
- Add the cheese and heat until melted
- Stir in the cream and the pickled jalapeño chillies and mix well
Cheese chilli - who knew?
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#tomatoes #chiliconqueso #tortillachips #vegetables #cream #onions #butter #garlic #montereyjack #dutchoven #peppers