Chicken with cold tossed bean sprouts
An almost salad like dish, nice for a summer picnic or as a starter
- 1 teaspoon rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1.5 teaspoons sugar
- 8 oz (225 g) bean sprouts, blanched in boiling water and refreshed in cold
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, cut into matchstick shreds. Poached chicken or Chinese style steamed chicken is good for this recipe
- 1.5 tablespoons tahini or smooth peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 spring onion (scallions), finely chopped
- 1 slice ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed in a mortar and pestle
- 1 fresh red chili, finely chopped, or 1 tablespoon red chili oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar. Sherry vinegar makes a reasonable substitute.
- Mix together the wine, 1 teaspoon sesame oil and ½ teaspoon sugar
- toss the bean sprouts in this mixture
- Arrange the bean sprouts on a serving dish and arrange the chicken on top
- In a bowl add the tahini, soy, remaining sugar, spring onion, sherry vinegar and garlic and mix well
- Add a splash of water if the sauce is too thick
- Spoon this mixture over the chicken and sprinkle the chili shreds or chili oil over the top
Serve cold or at room temperature
There is no need to peel ginger. As a result of attending a Thai cookery demo, we have learnt that peeling ginger is unnecessary unless for aesthetic purposes as the skin is high in fibre and full of flavour. However, do remove any bits that have become tough or woody.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#beansprouts #sesameoil #garlic #sherryvinegar #ricevinegar #ginger #tahini #drysherry #onion #chickenwithcoldtossedbeansprouts #lightsoysauce