Cheesy smoked cod with mushrooms and pasta
See your street as it was 11 years ago! ...
- 225 g macaroni or pasta of your choice
- 225 g smoked cod or smoked haddock fillets
- 450 ml milk
- 2 bay leaves
- 25 g (2 tablespoons) butter
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 100 g of white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 25 g (1 oz) plain flour
- 75 g (3 oz) grated cheddar cheese
- 300 ml passata
- sea salt
- Seasonal fresh herbs of your choice (parsley, snipped chives, basil, etc.)
- Cook the pasta as directed on the packet. 9 to 11 minutes in boiling salted water should be fine for macaroni.
- In the meantime, lay the smoked fish over the bay leaves in a frying pan and cover with milk.
- Bring to the boil and gently poach for 5 minutes or until the flesh flakes easily.
- Drain and reserve the milk.
- Remove the fish, discard the skin and any bones and flake the fish and set to one side.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and add a grind of black pepper
- Saute the mushrooms in the butter for a few minutes then add the flour, stir well and cook for another minute or so.
- Lower the heat,and gradually add the milk, stirring.
- Bring back to the boil, and cook for 3 minutes, stirring well.
- Add the grated cheese and a pinch of salt and the flaked fish. Heat for a few minutes more and then add the cooked pasta.
- Heat the passata and season the salt and black pepper and a herbs of your choice.
Serve with the hot passata poured around the edge of the plate
Make your own pasta from scratch
The normal (non-Youtube) recipe for home-made pasta is here if you prefer.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.