Cheese and mustard seed biscuits
A variant on the traditional cheese straws.
- 400g plain flour
- A pinch of salt
- 5 tbsps black mustard seeds
- 120g black bomber cheese, grated
- 120g Parmesan cheese, grated
- 230g butter, cubed
- 3 egg yolks
- Cold water to bind
- Sieve the flour and salt into a bowl and add the mustard seed.
- Add the butter into the flour along with the cheese, egg yolks and water (if necessary).
- Mix well until you have a smooth dough.
- Roll out into a rectangle on a lightly floured surface, until the thickness of a £1 coin.
- Cut with pastry cutters and transfer to a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 190° C (375° F - gas 5), [fan oven 170° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Cool on the baking sheet for 2-3 minutes to harden before transferring to a cooling tray.
- The biscuits will keep in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Use any small seeds, eg celery, nigella, fennel, caraway. I would recommend that you do include at least half Parmesan cheese and that the other half also be a strong cheese, eg Old Winchester cheese, Gruyère, strong Cheddar.
Add 1 teaspoon of chilli powder for a little more bite.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#cheese #cheeseandmustardseedbiscuits #grated #butter #flour #eggyolks #baking #blackbombercheese #mustardseed #plainflour #mustardseeds