Caramelised onion and Cheddar twice baked soufflés
A cheese and onion soufflé recipe reproduced courtesy of British Onions.
See your street as it was 11 years ago! ...
- 1 Large onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 dsp Sugar
- 40g / 1oz Butter
- 40g / 10oz plain flour
- 225ml / 8fl oz Milk
- 4 free range eggs, separated
- 175g / 6oz Cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas No 4.
- Lightly grease 6 x 8cm x 4cm deep/ 3" x 1 ½" deep ramekin dishes.
- Line the bottom of the dishes with a circle of greaseproof paper.
- Gently cook the onions for 10 minutes until translucent, add the sugar & turn the heat up to caramelise the onions.
- Keep to one side.
- Melt the butter, stir in the flour to make a smooth paste & cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually stir in the milk, bring to the boil then reduce the heat to simmer & cook for a further minute.
- Beat in one egg yolk at a time; add 100g/ 6oz of cheese, mustard, salt & pepper.
- Beat the egg whites in a clean bowl until stiff, stir into the cheese mixture.
- Divide the onions between the ramekin dishes, then spoon the mixture on top of the onions.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Leave to cool, when cool remove the soufflés by running around bladed knife around the edge of each dish.
- Place the soufflés onto a baking sheet & sprinkle the remaining cheese over the soufflés.
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.
This recipe originated from the recipe section of British Onions