Bulghur wheat salad
- 225 g bulghur wheat
- 300 ml boiling water
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons mint, chopped
- 3 tablespoons coriander, chopped
- 1 red pepper, peeled and cut into strips
- 1 bunch spring onions, chopped
- Garlic to taste, chopped
- ½ cucumber, coarsely chopped
- 115 g Feta or Caerphilly cheese, crumbled
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Lime wedges, to garnish
- Place the bulghur wheat in a with the boiling water and leave to soak for 30 minutes.
- Stir occasionally with a fork, until all the water has been absorbed.
- Meanwhile, mix together the oil, lemon juice and seasonings in a bowl.
- Pour this over the bulghur wheat mixture and stir to combine.
- Add the herbs, mix well, then add the remaining ingredients.
- Toss to combine then cover and chill until needed.
- Serve in a bowl, garnished with the lime wedges.
I used vegetable stock instead of water, added 3 cloves of crushed garlic to the wheat at the soaking stage so the harshness of raw garlic was removed. I found some nice fresh sorrel leaves whilst herb-hunting in the garden so added those too along with a spare tomato. A very nice and colourful salad which will be made again. --Chef 07:36, 6 March 2011 (GMT)
When making this as a main meal for two people, I used 200g of bulgur wheat, vegetables as listed and an unmeasured quantity of cheese and there was very little left over. I would be tempted to increase the amount of bulgur wheat if making this for four people.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#bulghurwheatsalad #lemonjuice #limewedges #herbs #cucumber #bulgurwheat #boiling #salad #herb #cheese #unusualrecipes