Bubble and carrot squeak
This version of Bubble and squeak is Anne's favourite, odd for someone that won't normally eat her vegetables. The special addition to this recipe are added carrots and mustard seeds.
See your street as it was 11 years ago! ...
- 300g (10 oz) potatoes, unpeeled (Nadine - Saxon - Wilja - Desiree - King Edward)
- 10 savoy cabbage leaves
- 1 medium carrot
- 2 tablespoons Rapeseed oil
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of black mustard seeds
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- Boil the potatoes in their skins, in lightly salted water for 25 minutes, drain, rub the skins off and chop into cubes
- Using a potato ricer or masher, mash the potatoes, season to taste with salt and pepper
- Remove the centre stems of the cabbage leaves and discard. Roll up the cabbage leaves and chop finely.
- If you have a julienne peeler, use that to turn your carrot into julienne strips. If not then grate roughly with a cheese grater
- Add the cabbage and carrot to a small pan of boiling water. Bring the pan back to the boil and boil for 3 minutes.
- At this stage, if you want to keep the bright green colour, plunge the cooked cabbage into cold water until you're ready to cook the squeak.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan or wok and add a good pinch of black pepper
- Gently fry the onions for 4 minutes
- Leaving as much oil in the pan as you can, remove the onions and mix in with the potato, carrot and cabbage mixture and sprinkle with mustard seeds
- Add a little more oil to the onion frying pan. Spread the mixture evenly over the pan and turn up the heat. Fry for about 6 minutes, turning and mixing every minute so you get a nice crispy finish.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.