Boiled chicken pieces
I needed to make a note of this process for Chicken and orange pilaf so thought it better to add this as a separate recipe.
- 500 g chicken pieces, skin removed, with bones if possible --see here.
- 1 Onion, quartered and unpeeled
- 2 cloves of garlic, smashed but unpeeled
- 10 whole peppercorns
- 2 celery stems, with leaves, roughly chopped
- Bouquet garni, or fresh herbs.
- Cut the chicken into even sized pieces, if using legs or thick cuts then make a few deep slashes in the meat to help even the cooking time.
- Lay the chicken pieces in the bottom of a saucepan.
- Layer the vegetables and herbs on top.
- Just cover with boiling water.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer, covered for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Check the chicken is cooked by cutting into thick flesh.
- Remove the chicken pieces and drain the stock.
- If using later in the day, refrigerate everything and follow the last step when you actually need to use the chicken.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.