Chicken and orange pilaf
If you need a recipe for the cooked chicken and stock, we have one here.
See your street as it was 11 years ago! ...
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 red chili, cut into thin rings
- Good grind of pepper, white if you have it
- 350 g (12 oz) long grain rice, preferably basmati - rinsed for 2 minutes under cold running water and well drained
- 500 ml cold chicken stock
- 125 ml orange juice
- The grated zest from 1 orange
- 100 g dried apricots, chopped
- 500 g cooked chicken, shredded into small pieces. See: Boiled chicken pieces.
- Big handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- 25 g shelled pistachio nuts, (about 50 g with shells)
- Greek yogurt for garnish
- Heat the oil and gently sauté the onions and garlic for 4 minutes
- Add the chili and a grind of pepper and fry for a minute just to flavour the oil
- Add the rice and stir well to coat with oil
- Mix the orange juice, apricots and the stock, add to the rice and bring to the boil
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer on a low heat for 20 minutes. Don't stir the rice during this time
- Stir the chicken pieces, parsley, orange zest and the pistachio nuts. Cook for a few minutes until the chicken is reheated
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.