Birkapörkölt (Mutton stew) (HC)
You can discover more about Hungarian recipes and specialist suppliers here.
- 900 g [2 lbs] mutton
- 1 onion
- 450 ml rice
- 130 g butter or lard
- Pepper, marjoram
- 30 g Cheddar cheese
- Cut the meat into 1oz [30 g] cubes and let it simmer in as much water as will cover it.
- When it comes to the boil, remove the scum and season it with pepper and as much marjoram as will lie on the point of a knife.
- While the meat is simmering, brown the finely chopped onions with the rice and a little parsley in the butter or lard.
- When the meat begins to grow tender (there must be at lease 7 gills [1 litre] of water on it) add the rice, onions and parsley.
- When this comes to the boil, stir well , and put it to bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
I would try baking at 200 C/400 F/Gas 5 leaving it for longer than 15 minutes if necessary.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#rice #parsley #marjoram #boil #lard #butter #onions #mutton #cheddarcheese #stew #stewedbraisedorpotroasted