Beef bourguignon recipe (PC)
This recipe needs advance preparation!
Beef bourguignon is a well-known, traditional French recipe. It is essentially a stew prepared with beef braised in a full bodied red wine and beef stock, generally flavoured with garlic, onions, carrots, and a bouquet garni, and garnished with pearl onions and mushrooms.
A WMF Perfect Plus 6.5 litre pressure cooker has recently joined my stash of kitchen toys and I've been experimenting with the best way to cook beef bourguignon in a pressure cooker. I was after a fully-flavoured dish rather than a fast one; this was the result.
If you want the authentic, non-pressure cooker version, you can find it here.
- 300 ml full bodied red wine
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 huge stem of cutting celery, 'flowers and all' - A stalk of celery, ideally with leaves would be fine
- 1 sprig of parsley
- 1 small sprig of thyme
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 3 large banana shallots, peeled and cut in half
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 Portobello mushrooms, (large field mushrooms), roughly sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 250 g Stewing steak, trimmed of excess fat and cut into bite-sized cubes
- 10 cherry tomatoes - any type will do, they happened to be spare
- 2 tablespoons of tomato puree
- Half an oxo cube, crumbled
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of cornflour
- 240g of dried egg noodles, cooked as directed on the packet
- If you have the time beforehand, add the meat, half bottle of red wine, the cubed steak and the bouquet garni (tied with kitchen string) to a Lock and Lock-style box, cover, shake and refrigerate for a few hours or more.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan or wok. You can use the pressure cooker for this but I've found it sometimes stick during the cooking so do any 'beforehand' sautéing in my trusty wok.
- Add a good grind of black pepper, the shallots and the garlic and gently sauté 5 minutes, stirring now and then
- Add the mushrooms and carrots and fry for another 5 minutes.
- Tip the onions, garlic, mushrooms and carrots into the pressure cooker.
- Add the meat and red wine marinade, reserving the bouquet garni.
- Crumble half an oxo cube into the cooker together with the tomatoes and tomato puree and stir well.
- Sit the bouquet garni in the perforated trivet and sit this atop of the stew.
- Cover and bring the pressure cooker to high pressure
- Cook for 1 hour
- De-pressurise naturally, during this time boil the noodles as directed
- If the stew needs thickening, mix to a paste; a tablespoon of cornflour and a tablespoon of cold water, stir this into the stew and bring back to the boil, uncovered, and stir for a minute or so.
Serve the beef over the noodles, discarding the bouquet garni.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#bouquetgarni #garlic #onions #redwine #carrots #eggnoodles #beefbourguignonrecipe #boeufbourguignon #blackpepper #cornflour #oxocube