Beef bourguignon recipe
Beef bourguignon is a well-known, traditional French beef stew recipe. It is essentially a stew prepared with beef braised in a full bodied red wine and beef stock, generally flavoured with garlic, onions, carrots, and a bouquet garni, and garnished with pearl onions and mushrooms.
This is my interpretation of this wonderful dish.
- 2 sticks of celery, cut into large pieces (they will be discarded later)
- 1 large onion, peeled and quartered (will be discarded later)
- 2 large carrots, sliced in half length-wise (these will be discarded later)
- 750 ml robust red wine such as Bulls blood.
Bouquet garni (I used a variation on version 4)
- 2 bay leaves
- half a lime (unsqueezed)
- 1 sprig of oregano
- 1 sprig of parsley
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 3 garlic cloves, bruised
- 1 strip of lime peel
Cooking the meat
- 8 shallots or baby onions
- About 100g to 150g of button mushrooms - 1 small packet
- 2 carrots, scrubbed and sliced
- 110 g (4 oz) home smoked bacon or good quality smoked bacon
- 3 tablespoons of brandy
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan. Add the onion quarters. carrots, celery and fry until the onion is softened.
- Add the bottle of wine, bouquet garni and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, allow to cool completely.
- Arrange the steak in a bowl and pour the wine together with the vegetables over the steak and store in a refrigerator overnight to marinate.
- The next day, preheat the oven to 140° C (275° F - gas 1)
- Drain the wine and reserve, pick out the meat and reserve, discard the remaining items.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive and fry the bacon and onions for 3 minutes, add the carrots and mushrooms and fry for a further 3 minutes.
- Pour in a splash of brandy and deglaze the pan.
- Stir in the flour.
- Pour in the reserved wine, add the meat and mix well and bring to the boil.
- Remove from the hob, cover, place in the oven and cook for 2 hours.
- Beef bourguignon (slow cooker recipe)
- Boeuf bourguignon
- Beef bourguignon recipe
- Beef bourguignon recipe (PC)
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.