Beef and bean cottage pie
An odd idea, but good.
A nice change from rice - Jerry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium or 1 large onion, chopped
- 300g minced beef
- 200g baked beans
- 200g kidney beans, drained
- 1.5 teaspoons Marmite, Vegemite or Bovril
- 1-2 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- 1-2 tablespoons dired chilli flakes
- 1kg potatoes, peeled
- 250g carrots, peeled
- Garlic, to taste, crushed
- A little milk or a knob of butter
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the oil over a high heat and sauté the onions until golden brown.
- Add the mince and cook until brown.
- Stir in the baked beans, kidney beans, Marmite, Vegemite or Bovril, the dried mixed herbs and the chilli flakes.
- Transfer to a casserole dish.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes and the carrots until cooked - about 20 minutes.
- Drain and mash together, adding the milk and the garlic.
- Season to taste.
- Spread out the potato over the meat and bean mixture in the casserole dish and drag a fork through it to create a pretty pattern.
- Bake at 180° C (350° F - gas 4), [fan oven 160° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour] for 20 minutes.
If you don't like chillies or garlic, just leave them out. Use any type of tinned beans to replace the kidney beans. Substitute the carrot for swede. Grate some Parmesan or other hard cheese over the top of the potato / carrot mixture before baking
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#beefandbeancottagepie #kidneybeans #garlic #driedmixedherbs #carrots #bovril #potato #casseroledish #chilliflakes #potatoes #vegemite