Comfort food for a cold winter's evening.
- 1 kg Squash mash (or of course, plain old mashed potatos)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 560 g (1¼) lb lean beef mince
- 400 g (14oz) tin tomatoes
- 285 ml (10 fl oz) beef stock or from a stock cube
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 leaves only from 1 sprig of thyme
- 2 tablespoons of Tomato purée
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190° C (375° F - Gas 5)
- Add the oil to a large pan and fry the onions and carrots until the onions are soft - about 4 minutes
- Add the beef mince and fry for a further 4 minutes
- Add the stock, herbs and tomato puree
- Bring to the boil then reduce heat
- Simmer for 30 minutes
- Pour the meat into a casserole dish, top with the squash mash and bake for 30 minutes
Serve hot with garden peas.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.