Basic macaroni cheese (alt)
This Mac and cheese recipe is a variation on the Basic macaroni cheese recipe as suggested by Alastair Meikle.
The difference is in the method; the ingredients are the same.
Access Google's Street View and see 10 years of video history! ...
- 250g (9oz) macaroni pasta
- 40g (1½ oz) butter
- 40g (1½ oz) plain flour
- 600ml (1pint) milk
- 250g (9oz) grated cheddar cheese
- 50g (2oz) freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Additional flavouring: Add tomato ketchup to taste
- Preheat the Oven - 190°C (375°F, Gas Mk.5).
- Cook the macaroni in a large saucepan of lightly-salted boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes or until al-dente.
- Meanwhile make a roux by melting the butter over a gentle heat in another saucepan that will be large enough to hold the pasta and the sauce together.
- Add the flour and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Cook this roux for a minute.
- Add the milk, salt, pepper and cheese and keep stirring until the flour 'explodes'.
- Drain the macaroni and pour it into the cheese sauce, stir well.
- Tip the mixture into an oven proof dish
- Sprinkle grated cheese on top and bake until the cheese topping is crisp and brown.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.