We have a number of recipes that could be classed as Macaroni cheese [USA Mac & cheese]:
- Basic macaroni cheese
- Basic macaroni cheese (alt)
- Macaroni with four cheeses
- Macaroni with three cheeses
- Macaroni pie (West Indian)
- Macaroni pie (Scottish) - an article, not a recipe.
Is macaroni cheese a historic recipe?
Watching an old Steinbeck movie The red Pony (1949), I was surprised to see a reference to macaroni cheese, so I did a little more research.
1937 was the probably the first commercial Macaroni and cheese (Kraft - USA).
Macaroni cheese originated in from Italy and Thomas Jefferson may have brought the recipe back to the USA when returning from his European trip around 1787.
Italian references to a sheet pasta and cheese dish can be found from around 1250.