Basic macaroni cheese
We have some more elaborate macaroni cheese recipes here. This is a simple version of Mac and cheese. You could make it even simpler by omitting the parmesan cheese without spoiling the overall effect.
See your street as it was 11 years ago! ...
- 250g (9oz) macaroni pasta
- 40g (1½ oz) butter
- 40g (1½ oz) plain flour
- 600ml (1pint) milk
- 250g (9oz) grated cheddar cheese
- 50g (2oz) freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven grill.
- Cook the macaroni in a large saucepan of lightly-salted boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes or until al-dente.
- Drain well and set aside.
- Melt the butter over a gentle heat in another saucepan that will be large enough to hold the pasta and the sauce together.
- Add the flour and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Cook this roux for a minute.
- Little by little, whisk in the milk.
- Cook for 10 minutes until thick and smooth.
- Stir in most of the cheddar, leaving a little to sprinkle on the top.
- Gently cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Mix the macaroni into the sauce and mix well.
- Pour the macaroni cheese into an oven-proof dish, sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake under the hot grill until the cheese is melted, browned and bubbling.
- Serve immediately.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.