Basic macaroni cheese
We have some more elaborate macaroni cheese recipes here. This is a simple version of Mac and cheese. You could make it even simpler by omitting the parmesan cheese without spoiling the overall effect.
- 250g (9oz) macaroni pasta
- 40g (1½ oz) butter
- 40g (1½ oz) plain flour
- 600ml (1pint) milk
- 250g (9oz) grated cheddar cheese
- 50g (2oz) freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven grill.
- Cook the macaroni in a large saucepan of lightly-salted boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes or until al-dente.
- Drain well and set aside.
- Melt the butter over a gentle heat in another saucepan that will be large enough to hold the pasta and the sauce together.
- Add the flour and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Cook this roux for a minute.
- Little by little, whisk in the milk.
- Cook for 10 minutes until thick and smooth.
- Stir in most of the cheddar, leaving a little to sprinkle on the top.
- Gently cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Mix the macaroni into the sauce and mix well.
- Pour the macaroni cheese into an oven-proof dish, sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake under the hot grill until the cheese is melted, browned and bubbling.
- Serve immediately.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.