Barbecued Harissa lamb
This recipe needs advance preparation!
- 1 tablespoon of coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon of cumin seeds
- 3 tablespoons of Belazu Rose Harissa
- juice of 1 lemon
- Belazu extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1.6 kg leg of lamb, boned and butterflied (ask your butcher to do this for you)
- I used a frozen half-leg of lamb and butterflied it myself. It was a bit of a fiddle but it worked out fine in the end!
- Put the seeds in a pestle and mortar and crush slightly.
- Mix the Harissa, lemon, 2 tablespoons olive oil, garlic and spices together, smear over the lamb
- marinate for at least one hour.
- Season well and cook on a heated barbecue with the lid on for 25-30 minutes, turning a couple of times.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes before carving.
Serve in homemade pitta breads with a selection of chopped salad vegetables.
When preparing this dish, the decision to barbecue or not was weather dependant, in the end I decided not to barbecue. After butterflying the half-leg of lamb, and seeing how cartilaginous and sinewy the meat was, I thought slow cooking would give a far better result than cooking quickly in the oven or even barbecuing. This was a great decision as the resulting meat just fell apart, juicy and tender.
I placed marinated meat on an uncovered grill tray at the top of the highest setting on my oven (260°C [500°F) Gas 10] and left for 15 minutes, then I reduced the oven to 180°C [350°F - Gas 4] placed meat in an oven tray covered in tin-foil and cooked for another 2.5 hours. It looks burnt from the picture, but if you look at the kebab in the pitta you'll see how tender it was - with no gristle.
This recipe originated from the recipe section of Belazu.com
Belazu products used in this recipe
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#lamb #barbecuedharissalamb #barbecue #garlic #lemon #harissa #seeds #homemadepittabreads #pestleandmortar #miseenplace #griddled