Aubergine no-meat meatballs
These little beauties are actually meat-free but they certainly look the part. And, they taste positively gorgeous. Aubergines fried up in a little oil, mixed with chopped olives, chilli and herbs. This dish is not just for vegetarians and vegans!
- A few splashes of olive oil
- 2 aubergines, cut into a small dice
- 1 smallish onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 lemon
- A handful of pitted black olives
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped (or a pinch of chilli powder)
- A large handful of fresh basil or 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary leaves
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 mug of breadcrumbs
- Place a large frying pan over medium heat. Sizzle the aubergine, onion and garlic in a bit of oil till soft and starting to colour. Add more oil, if need. Season well.
- When its almost done, add a squeeze of lemon juice and grate over a good bit of zest.
- Tip it into a food processor with the olives, chilli, balsamic vinegar and breadcrumbs. Whizz it up till everything comes together. Or just chop and mix everything up on a large cutting board.
- Taste the mix. Add more herbs or spice if needed. If its a bit dry, add a splash of olive oil. If its too wet, add more breadcrumbs. Shape into balls. Two aubergines will give you about a dozen rounded tablespoon-sized balls.
- Sizzle the balls in olive oil till golden all over and serve with a mound of sauced spaghetti, or just nibble them on their own.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
All of the ingredients in this recipe can be delivered to your door by Abel & Cole; weekly home deliveries of organic fruit and vegetable boxes, and much much more.
#oliveoil #aubergines #breadcrumbs #onion #balsamicvinegar #olives #auberginenomeatmeatballs #chilli #herbs #garlic #freshlygroundpepper