Aubergine no-meat meatballs
These little beauties are actually meat-free but they certainly look the part. And, they taste positively gorgeous. Aubergines fried up in a little oil, mixed with chopped olives, chilli and herbs. This dish is not just for vegetarians and vegans!
Access Google's Street View and see 10 years of video history! ...
- A few splashes of olive oil
- 2 aubergines, cut into a small dice
- 1 smallish onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 lemon
- A handful of pitted black olives
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped (or a pinch of chilli powder)
- A large handful of fresh basil or 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary leaves
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 mug of breadcrumbs
- Place a large frying pan over medium heat. Sizzle the aubergine, onion and garlic in a bit of oil till soft and starting to colour. Add more oil, if need. Season well.
- When its almost done, add a squeeze of lemon juice and grate over a good bit of zest.
- Tip it into a food processor with the olives, chilli, balsamic vinegar and breadcrumbs. Whizz it up till everything comes together. Or just chop and mix everything up on a large cutting board.
- Taste the mix. Add more herbs or spice if needed. If its a bit dry, add a splash of olive oil. If its too wet, add more breadcrumbs. Shape into balls. Two aubergines will give you about a dozen rounded tablespoon-sized balls.
- Sizzle the balls in olive oil till golden all over and serve with a mound of sauced spaghetti, or just nibble them on their own.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.
All of the ingredients in this recipe can be delivered to your door by Abel & Cole; weekly home deliveries of organic fruit and vegetable boxes, and much much more.