The minced beef preparation is very similar to picadillo (Spanish for minced meat) which is popular throughout Latin America and the Philippines. In most other countries picadillo is served with white rice on the side.
See your street as it was 11 years ago! ...
- 3 Cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 20 ml lemon juice
- 4 cups water
- 450 g [1 lb] rice
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 900 g [2 lb] of ground beef
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons of raisins
- 5 black olives, chopped
- 3 hard boiled eggs; two chopped, one whole
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely minced
- Sauté the garlic in oil, add a few drops of lemon juice, salt and the water and bring to a boil.
- Add rice and cook until tender. This should take 20 to 25 minutes.
- In another pan, stir in onions and sauté.
- Add meat, tomatoes, tomato paste, raisins, olives and cook for 10 minutes, stirring all the while.
- Gently fold in the chopped egg and parsley
- Take an eight-ounce measuring cup and coat the inside with a little oil. Fill halfway with rice, add some meat filling and add more rice to top of cup. Invert onto a plate and carefully remove cup.
- Cut the remaining hard-boiled egg in half and serve the two halves along side the arroz tapado on the same plate.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.