Almogrote gomero (TM)
This recipe needs advance preparation!
This thick sauce originates from the Canary Islands and in particular the small island of Gomera. It is traditional to use a cheese such as a mature La Gomera, but any strong, hard cheese will be fine.
- 6 ripe tomatoes (about 425g), cut in half
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt or pink Himalayan rock salt
To make the almogrote
- 8 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 1-2 guindilla peppers
- 140g hard, mature, strong cheese, broken into chunks
- The roasted tomatoes, drained (reserve the oil)
- 90g stock of your choice
- The reserved olive oil, made up to 120ml
- Preheat the oven to its highest setting.
- Arrange the tomatoes in a roasting tin, cut side up.
- Drizzle the oil over them and lightly sprinkle with the salt.
- Place in the oven for 15 minutes, reduce the heat to 150° C (300° F - gas 2), [fan oven 130° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour] and continue roasting for a further 1½ hours, by which time the tomatoes should have shrunk to half their original size.
- Allow the tomatoes to cool thoroughly or even leave them in the fridge overnight.
- Place the garlic, and guindilla(s) in the TM bowl and process 10 seconds / Speed 5.
- Scrape down the inside of the bowl and add the cheese.
- Process 1 minute / Speed 5-10 progressively.
- Add the tomatoes and the stock and blend at Speed 5 until you have the consistency of a paste.
- Ensure the MC has open end upright and slowly pour the oil onto the lid of bowl, running at Speed 5 until all the oil has been emulsified.
- Continue blending until you have the desired consistency - I like mine with a bit of texture although you can make it as smooth as you like.
- The recipe is based on one in Canarias - cocina tradicional by Vicente Sanchez Araña (ISBN 9788444120157). It has been translated, adapted and converted for Thermomix.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#tomatoes #garlic #cheese #roasting #stock #oliveoil #almogrote #bread #thermomix #thermomixrecipes #fridge