A great quick meal, supper or even snack.
- Olive oil or melted butter to grease the dish
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 675 g (1.5 lb) baking potatoes such as Cara, Estima, King Edwards, Marfona, Maris Piper or Vivaldi, very thinly sliced.
- 150 g (5 oz) hard cheese; Tomme (Alsace cheeses, Rhône-Alpes cheeses, Midi-Pyrénées cheeses), Cantal, Gruyère or Cheddar, grated.
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 225 g (8 oz) diced streaky bacon (lardons) - optional
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F - gas 4)
- Grease the base of a shallow baking dish or roasting tin.
- Arrange a layer of onions in the base.
- Top with a layer of potatoes, then a layer of cheese.
- Finish with a final layer of potatoes topped with cheese.
- Dress with nutmeg, salt and pepper and a few dabs of butter or oil.
- Bake for 1 hour and ten minutes., remove and allow to rest for 5 minutes
- If using lardons, fry them for 4 minutes first and add them in layers with the potatoes and onions.
Squeeze a bulb or two of roasted garlic in amongst the potatoes for a really special dish!
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#potatoes #cheese #truffade #grated #cheddar #butter #nutmeg #onions #lardons #baking #fry