Difference between revisions of "Ragout of Hare"
Revision as of 17:01, 19 January 2013
- Olive oil
- 500 g hare meat, chopped into very small pieces
- Seasoning to taste
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, julienned
- 2 bulbs garlic or more, finely diced
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 4 bay leaves
- 150 ml dry sherry
- 75 ml Stock, or more, if needed
- Heat a little oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat until it is smoking.
- Brown the hare in batches of three, seasoning each batch before removing from pan.
- Heat some more oil and stew the onion, carrots and celery until soft - stir from time to time.
- Add in the garlic and stew until golden.
- Stir in the tomatoes, herbs and sherry.
- Simmer for 10 minutes and return the hare to the pan.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the hare is cooked.
- The sauce should be thick, but you may need to top it up with small amounts of stock to stop it from being too thick or sticking.
- Adjust seasoning if necessary.
Serve on a plate of creamy mashed potatoes.