Pumpkin lemon curd
- 2 kg (4 lb) pumpkin or squash flesh, (seeds removed)
- 190 ml (1/3rd of a pint) water
- 2 kg (4 lb) brown sugar (demerara, muscovado or any unrefined sugar - even jaggery would be fine)
- 225 g (8 oz) butter
- 6 lemons
- Wash the pumpkin well, chop into manageable slices and boil in unsalted water until soft, about 15 to 20 minutes will be sufficient for most squashes.
- Scoop the flesh out of the skins and reserve. This is much easier than trying to peel the squash before boiling.
- Rub the flesh through a sieve into a large pan
- Zest and juice all 6 lemons discarding pips and pith
- Add the juice, zest and sugar to the flesh and slowly bring to the boil. Boil for 5 minutes, stirring often
- Allow to cool and store in clean sterilised jars as you would for jam
- It should set once cool
- Lemon curd - information page
- Lemon curd recipe
- Pumpkin lemon curd
- Lemon curd recipe (Mum's)
- Orange curd recipe (Mum's)
- Lemon curd (TM)
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.