Picante Mexican Grill offers freshly made Mexican dishes. Everything is Hecho En Casa, meaning home-made. Everything they serve is made fresh in their kitchen, and they even make their own Mexican chorizo to a traditional Oaxacan recipe. Casual dining, lunch, breakfast and take-away.
Proper guacamole is absolutely glorious, when made the traditional way with the right ingredients. Using Serrano chilli pepper adds a slightly nutty flavour that pairs very nicely with has avocados. We have tried many brands over the years and exclusively use La Costeña for their unbeatable flavour.
- 2 Hass avocados (medium size), only use perfectly ripe avocados, if the flesh is too firm or grey, it doesnt belong in guacamole. Grey avocados belong in the compost heap.
- 1/3 cup fresh tomato, chopped (about 1 medium)
- 1/3 cup white onion, finely chopped (1/4 cup if red or Spanish yellow), white onions have a subtler, less overpowering flavour than their red or yellow cousins. Harder to find, but worth the effort
- 1 medium clove garlic, very finely chopped-ideally use a garlic press
- 1/3 cup coriander, finely chopped (cut off steams just below 2nd leaves)
- ½ lime, juiced
- ½ teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons La Costeña Serrano escabeche (the marinate liquid from the tin)
- 2 serrano chillies finely chopped (about the size of the average pinkie finger), remove the seeds and veins to reduce the spiciness (this recipe has a slight tingle)
- Pinch ground black pepper
- Combine all of the ingredients and mix well, just before serving
Limes may yield variable amounts of juice, so follow your taste buds. I personally prefer less lime juice, but it is a key ingredient, as it acts a natural preservative and prevents the avocado flesh from turning colour.
Jason Coolbaugh - Picante Grill
Mextrade.co.uk has kindly given Cookipedia permission to reproduce this recipe.
Mextrade was founded in 2010 by Mexican entrepreneur’s cuisine lovers, opened with a primary goal of bringing irresistible flavours from the best quality Mexican products to households, kitchens and dinner tables across the UK.