Home-made beef gravy
Tasty and easy to make homemade gravy.
- Beef trimmings, including offal such as kidney, liver, heart, etc.
- 1 onion, cut in half, one half chopped finely
- 8 black peppercorns
- Handful of parsley leaves and stems
- 1 teaspoon of beef dripping or butter
- 1 tablespoon of plain flour
- Gravy browning (optional)
- sea salt to taste
- Place the meat trimmings, half of the onion, the peppercorns, parsley and a pint of water
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour
- Remove from the heat and strain the stock into a separate bowl
- In the same pan, melt the dripping and fry the chopped half of the onion until it is nicely browned
- Stir in the flour and mix well
- Little by little add the stock, stirring as you go
- Add a little gravy browning if needed
- Season to taste and serve immediately
Cheat if you are short of time, use stock from a stock-cube and then continue from step 4. that way you can pretend to everyone that you made it.
- Many other gravy recipes
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.