Jani me fasule (Bean soup)
Cooking time calculator
Get a rough idea of when the recipe will be completed given a start time or see when you should begin cooking to serve your recipe at a specified time. Try it now!
- 400 g dry white beans such as haricot beans, soaked overnight
- 1 litre stock or water
- 150 g onions, chopped
- 100 ml olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- Chilli powder, to taste
- 1 tablespoon mint, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Boil beans in hot water in an uncovered pan for 5 minutes.
- Rinse and boil for another 15 minutes, covered, in the hot stock or water.
- Sauté the onion in the olive oil until it turns golden.
- Add 2 tablespoons bean stock from the pot along with the tomato purée, and chilli powder for taste.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until a thick sauce is formed, then pour everything into the pan containing the beans.
- Cover, and simmer for 2 hours over low heat, stirring in the salt, mint and parsley just before the end of the cooking time.
- Serve hot.
Serve with some country bread.