Yellow rice (Spanish)
Saffron give this dish a sunny tint and a distinct aroma.
- 200g (7 oz) long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of saffron strands
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 475 ml (16 fl oz) good chicken stock
- 50 g (2 oz) pickled jalepeno chili slices
- sea salt
- Fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- In a sieve, rinse the rice for a few minutes under cold running water to remove excess starch. The water should run clear once done
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onion and garlic for 4 minutes until soft and translucent
- Mix the rice into the onion mix and stir well to coat all of the rice
- Drop in the saffron strands
- Add the chicken stock, bring to the boil and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes or until the rice has absorbed all of the liquid. A sheet or so of tin-foil under the pan lid helps to make a good seal
- Add extra water if the rice dries out before it's cooked
- Add the chopped chillies and add salt to taste
Serve in a large bowl, garnished with coriander leaves
Serve cold as a salad.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#onion #chickenstock #rice #saffronstrands #garlic #saffron #chillies #longgrainrice #jalepenochilislices #boiledorsimmered #coriander