Wholemeal cheese scones
Another savoury winner from Mum's scribbled cookery notes.
This version uses wholemeal flour, see here for a version using white Self-raising flour.
- 450 g (1 lb) 100% wholemeal flour
- Big pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- Big pinch of chilli powder
- 50 g (2 oz) softened butter
- 300 g (10 oz) mature cheddar cheese
- ½ pint (284 ml) milk
- Yellow cornmeal for rolling out.
- Preheat the oven to 200° C (400° F - gas 6), [fan oven 180° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Put the flour, baking powder, chilli powder and salt in a large bowl and mix together.
- Rub the butter into the mixture with your fingers until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Mix in 225 g (8 oz) of the the grated cheese.
- Add enough of the milk as needed to produce a nice soft dough when mixed well.
- Knead this dough for a few minutes.
- Dust a work-surface with cornmeal and roll the dough out until it is about 2.5 cm (1") thick
- Stamp out about 16 7.5 cm (3") rounds with a fluted pastry cutter.
- Brush the tops with a little milk and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden.
- Cool on a metal rack.
These don't store too well so eat them within a day or so.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.