- 225g (8oz) self raising flour
- 55g (2oz) butter cut into small pieces
- 25 g (1 oz) Cheddar cheese, coarsely grated and cut into small pieces
- 1 egg yolk
- 150ml milk or buttermilk
- 1/2 level teaspoon of chilli powder
- 1/2 level teaspoon of mustard powder
- 1/2 level teaspoon of salt
- Preheat the oven to 220° C (425° F - gas 7)
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl, add the salt, chilli, mustard powder and butter.
- Rub the butter and into the flour then mix in the cheese and egg yolk.
- Add enough milk or buttermilk, a little at a time, mixing to to make a soft dough.
- This can also be done in a food processor.
- Tip out onto a floured worktop and knead lightly.
- Roll out to 2 cm (¾") thick and them cut into rounds with a 5 cm (2") pastry cutter or hand-roll them into balls for a more rustic looking scone..
- Brush the tops of the scones with a little milk.
- Place onto a lightly greased baking tray and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until they have risen and turned golden.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#butter #cheesescones #scones #mustardpowder #buttermilk #flour #bakingtray #miseenplace #sage #foodprocessor #bake