"Chroesawa pawb" (Welcome all) Welsh cakes (Welsh: picau ar y maen, pice bach, cacen gri or teisen radell) are traditional Welsh snacks.
- 8oz (225 g) self-raising flour, sieved to aerate
- 4oz (110 g) butter
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- A handful of sultanas
- A little milk
- 3 oz (85 g) caster sugar
- butter for greasing
- Rub the fat into the sieved flour to until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add to a bowl with the sugar, dried fruit and mix well.
- Add the beaten egg
- Combine using your hands and form a ball of dough.
- If you need to loosen the dough a little, use a splash of milk.
- Roll out the pastry to a ¼" (5 mm) thick and cut into rounds with a 3-4i" (7.5-10 cm) pastry cutter.
- Grease a heavy griddle or tava with with butter
- Place on direct heat until it is quite hot
- Cook the Welsh cakes on the griddle, turning once, about 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- Each side needs to be browned before it's turned over.
- Remove and dust with caster sugar while still warm.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.