Vegetarian Scotch eggs
From the picture, this looks fantastic.
Our how to boil an egg section has useful cooking time information so you can get the yolk set to your preference.
Do not use very fresh eggs or you won't be able to peel them - see eggs.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 free range eggs
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 6 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes or taco-mix
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika powder
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 sweet pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 400g can of chickpeas, drained and well rinsed
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F - gas 4), [fan oven 160° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Break one of the eggs into a bowl and beat well.
- Put the breadcrumbs and plain flour into separate bowls.
- Place the eggs into a pan of boiling water and boil for 4 minutes. This should result in a runny yolk. See how to boil an egg for different yolk preferences.
- Leave the eggs to cool then remove the shell.
- Heat the olive oil in a wok or frying pan and gently sauté the bell pepper and onions for 8 minutes.
- Add the crushed garlic and sauté for another few minutes.
- Stir in the chickpeas, paprika powder and chilli flakes and then mash the chickpeas with a potato masher.
- Mix well and allow to cool so the mixture can be handled.
- Roll the peeled eggs in the plain flour to coat and then take a fifth of the veggie mix and mould it around the egg.
- Dip in the beaten egg and roll in the breadcrumbs.
- Pop the eggs on a lightly oiled baking tray or one lined with bake-o-glide.
- Cook for 35 minutes, turning once.
- Colin Griffiths
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.