Veal tongues with capers
Not for me!
This is something I will not make. - Klapaucius
- 2 medium tongues of veal
- ½ a lemon and sea salt for cleaning the tongue
- 2.5 tablespoons sea salt (for boiling)
- 200g (7 oz) white wine
- 85g (3.5 oz) carrots, peeled and chopped
- 85g (3.5 oz) onions, peeled and sliced
- 3.4 litres (6 pints) cold water for boiling
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 hot chilli pepper, sliced into rings (de-seeded if desired)
- 110g (4 oz) butter
- 75g (3 oz) plain flour
- 1 tablespoon sea salt (for the sauce)
- 110g (4 oz) capers (rinsed and drained if salted)
- 25g (1 oz) vinegar (for sauce)
cleaning the tongues
- Under cold running water, scrub the tongues with a brush.
- Rub with half a lemon and a handful of salt then leave for 15 minutes
- Place the tongues in a large pan and cover with cold water
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 12 minutes, skimming any surface scum
- Remove the tongues and discard the water and quickly rinse in cold water. Clean the pot
cooking the tongues
- Add the tongues to the pot, together with 3.4 litres of cold water, the vegetables, wine, herbs and 2.5 tablespoons of salt
- Bring to the boil and simmer until the tongues are cooked (about 2 to 2.5 hours)
- Add the butter and flour, white pepper and salt to a small pan and once the roux browns, add enough of the strained stock to make the sauce. Once it thickens, stir in the chillies. final preparation
- Peel the tongues, removing any gristle, fat or connective tissues
- Slice diagonally, a little less than 1 cm (½")
- Arrange on a large platter and sprinkle with half of the capers
- Pour half of the sauce over the tongues and capers and the rest, serve in a sauce dish. Sprinkle the remaining capers over the final layer of sauce.
Serve this dish with boiled potatoes.
The salt and butter quantities are as in the original recipe, I would probably reduce them if you are at all health conscious. The original recipe just specifies 'vinegar' - Use your favourite, I dare to suggest sherry vinegar!
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#tongue #sauce #vealtongueswithcapers #butter #veal #capers #simmer #vinegar #litres #boil #boiling