Tomate frito (TM)
- 50g extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 100g onion
- 100g carrots (optional)
- 1kg tinned, chopped tomatoes
- 30g sugar
- Salt and pepper
- A few basil leaves (optional)
- Pour the oil into the bowl 3 minutes / Temp. Varoma / Speed 1.
- Add the garlic, onion and carrots 10 seconds / Speed 5 [push down ingredients in the bowl] then 7 minutes / Temp. Varoma / Speed 3½.
- Push down the ingredients in the bowl and put the internal steaming basket on the lid to avoid splashes.
- Add the tomatoes and the remaining ingredients 30 minutes / Temp. Varoma / Speed 1.
- If you want it thicker, you can cook it for 5-10 minutes longer, so that the liquid evaporates. If using basil, do not add it until the last few minutes.
- This is a translation of a recipe in Thermomix TM31 Imprescindible para tu cocina which is the book supplied with Spanish TMXs.
You can use fresh tomatoes, but they must be very red and ripe. Make a cut into them and drain off all the liquid, by pressing them with your hands. You will have to blitz them very well at Speed 6-7, until you have a purée. Take them out and reserve to add to the sofrito once it is made, because if they are blended together, they will lose their lovely red colour.
If, once the whole sauce has finished cooking, you want to blitz the tomatoes more, do not do this whilst the sauce is hot. Wait until it has cooled a little and blitz at Speed 7, but remember that by doing this you will get more of an orange colour.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.