Spicy pork spare ribs
A very tasty yet economical meal that can be very quickly prepared from pork spare ribs and a few ingredients.
It's a slight variation on the Chinese pork spare rib recipe.
The marinade looks far too liquid when it's made, but it eventually turns into a nice sticky, tasty coating at the end of the cooking process
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed with 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 275 ml (10 fl oz) red wine
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon runny honey
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger powder
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F - Gas 4)
- Add all the sauce ingredients to a bowl and whisk into a smooth sauce
- Don't worry, it's quite a liquid mix
- Place the ribs in a deep dish and pour the marinade over them , leave in a cool place for a few hours if you can
- Spread the ribs out on a deep oiled baking tray
- Place the ribs on the baking tray and baste with the marinade. A cookery brush is good for this
- Put them on the top shelf of the oven and roast for 45 minutes
- After 45 minutes, pull them out and re-baste them; cook for a further 10 to 25 minutes. They'll be safely cooked after 45 minutes, you're now just waiting for the sauce to cook down and thicken up. Remove them once they are done to your satisfaction.
Keeps the liquid and honey content roughly as the recipe and adjust the spices to suit your taste.
A honey tip from User:JuliaBalbilla. If you only have normal honey, pop it in the microwave for a few seconds to convert.
To save a little time on the washing-up, use Bake-O-Glide.
There is no need to peel ginger. As a result of attending a Thai cookery demo, we have learnt that peeling ginger is unnecessary unless for aesthetic purposes as the skin is high in fibre and full of flavour. However, do remove any bits that have become tough or woody.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.