Spicy chicken salad
This recipe needs advance preparation!
A hot and spicy chicken salad with loads of flavours. This would last 2 people a couple of days if you keep the dressing and spices in a airtight containers and only cut the vegetables up when ready to use them.
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- ½ cup of cashew nuts, dry-roasted and crushed
- 4 shallots, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 10 whole baby sweetcorn cobs, thinly sliced
- 1 stalk of lemongrass very thinly sliced
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh galangal, peeled and chopped
- 2 fresh red chillies, deseeded and sliced
- 1 Iceberg lettuce, sliced
- 220 ml (1/2 cup) coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons nam pla
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoon jaggery or brown sugar
- 8 Mint leaves, chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped into slices
- Small bunch of coriander leaves, chopped
- Mix the marinade ingredients in a lock and lock box, shake well and marinate for 2 to 3 hours in a cool place
- Add the olive oil to a wok and stir-fry the chicken pieces together with the garlic until they are browned and properly cooked.
- Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat the dressing ingredients in a small pan and mix well until the jaggery has completely dissolved.
- allow to cool.
- Add the salad items to a large bowl, together with the chicken pieces, pour over the dressing and sprinkle with the garnish
Roasting and crushing cashews in a pestle and mortar: I found it easier to first smash the cashews in a mortar, by covering them with a cloth and bashing them with the pestle through the cloth. This stops the bits going everywhere. Then roast the crushed remains, every part gets nicely toasted this way.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#spicychickensalad #chicken #salad #jaggery #oliveoil #cashews #marinade #lockandlock #chickenbreast #springonions #favouriterecipes