Spanish rice casserole
This recipe was given to Anne yesterday by John and Louise and we tried it out last night. A really nice, simple and tasty meal.
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed (or to taste)
- 2 mugs basmati rice - well rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon unsmoked paprika powder
- A big pinch of chilli flakes or chilli powder
- 4 oz chopped chorizo sausage
- 1 stick of celery, sliced into moons
- 2 sweet peppers, deseeded, sliced and chopped
- A few tablespoon of vegetables of your choice
- 110g (4 oz) fresh mushrooms, brushed clean and sliced
- Dash of Worcestershire sauce
- Pinch of dried mixed herbs
- 2 mugs of boiling chicken stock for every mug of rice
- Freshly chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F - gas 4), [fan oven 160° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Heat the oil in a dutch oven or flameproof casserole dish.
- Add a good grind of black pepper.
- Gently sauté the onion, and peppers for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the chorizo and garlic and stir-fry for a minute or so.
- Stir in the rice and allow it to become well coated with the oil.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stir really well. Cover with a layer of tin foil, then add the lid. This makes a really good seal.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
Serve with chopped fresh parsley
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.