Slow-cooked shin of beef (slow cooker recipe)
This delicious and extremely economical dish is a variation of Slow-cooked shin of beef that I tested for use in a slow cooker with a mind to the fact that most people use a slow cooker so that the meal can be ready on their return from work. That means that unless a timer is used, the dish needs to be edible after cooking for twelve hours or so.
I cooked this for 12 hours on low and it was fine. The cooking time can be reduced if the heat is increased, I would suggest: 4 hours on high; 6 hours on medium. it will be safe to eat in much less time, but it does take an extended cooking time to break down the collagen (all that chewy-stringy stuff), into delicious gravy. It wont hurt if it's cooked for longer either.
It takes about 20 minutes of preparation and cooking before everything goes in the slow cooker, so you need that amount of free time beforehand.
- 600 g to 800 g shin of beef, cut into 4 thick slices
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 3 ribs celery with leaves, chopped fine
- 3 medium carrots, chopped finely
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cup (480ml) wine ( I used a mixture of red and white, that's what was in the freezer)
- 2 cups (about 480ml) vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 can of chopped peeled tomatoes
- 15 shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- A few tomatoes, sliced (optional)
- 6 anchovy fillets, mashed
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1/2 a whole lemon (remove after cooking)
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Using a frying pan or a wok, put the butter, 2 tablespoons of the oil, the onions, celery and carrots in the pan and sautée over medium heat until the vegetables have wilted, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and shiitake mushrooms for another 2 minutes more, stirring while they cook.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a skillet until it is near the smoking point. Slip the steaks the oil and brown on all sides.
- Add the vegetables, wine, hot stock, steaks and any remaining ingredients to the slow cooker, stir well, season to taste and cook on low for 12 hours. Do ensure that the steaks are covered during the cooking.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#celery #butter #shiitakemushrooms #carrots #slowcooker #blackpepper #jacketpotatoes #unusualrecipes #wine #bayleaves #onions