Serpenyős rostélyos (Braised sirloin) (HC)
You can discover more about Hungarian recipes and specialist suppliers here.
- 6 110g slices of sirloin
- 2 onions
- 2 lbs [900 g] potatoes
- garlic, caraway seed
- paprika, salt
- green paprikas [sweet green peppers]
- 4 tomatoes
- Sprinkle salt on the sirloin steaks and brown them both sides.
- Chop onions and fry them in a saucepan.
- Put in the meat with a little water, salt, some caraway seed and a little finely minced garlic, then stew.
- Add paprika, green paprikas, sliced tomatoes and later on potatoes cut lengthwise in four.
- Some more water will then be needed.
- Stew until the potatoes are ready, then serve.
- There must not be too much gravy.
--JuliaBalbilla 09:20, 9 January 2009 (UTC)
For those who may follow and my reference, I thought it might be helpful the clarify the quantities I used when cooking this for 2 big eaters!
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil to fry the onions and garlic plus a little extra to stop the steak from sticking to the pan
- 5 medium medium garden tomatoes
- 3 small onions
- 6 cloves of garlic (or to taste)
- 3 small sweet peppers, fresh from the garden
- 1 stick of celery, chopped and added with the onions and garlic - there was some in the kitchen and it seemed silly not to use it
- 1 tablespoon of caraway seeds crushed in a pestle and mortar
- 1.5 tablespoons of un-smoked paprika powder
- 426 ml (3/4 pint) beef stock
- 1 fat sirloin steak sliced into two thin halves
- 2 baking-sized potatoes
- 1 small pot of soured cream
I browned the steak then separately fried off the onions, garlic and celery. I then added the spices, peppers, potatoes and , brought to the boil and then simmered for 1 hour. You will probably need more stock if you are to cook this for 6 people.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.