Sausage and bean casserole
Another of Annabelle's superb recipes. It can be prepared and cooked in 45 minutes.
Use it as a basic idea as there is so many ways to change this dish.
- Olive oil
- 1 packet of quality beef sausages
- 1 450g can of tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cloves of Garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon of chili flakes
- Splash of Worcestershire sauce
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 beef stock cube crumbled into ½ cup of red wine and ½ cup hot water
- 1 can cannelloni beans, kidney beans, mixed beans etc.
- A big handful of torn basil leaves
- Using a Dutch oven, sauté the onions and garlic for 5 minutes in a splash of olive oil, to which a good grind of black pepper has been added
- Add the sausages and fry for 4 minutes, just to colour a little
- Add the remaining ingredients and half ot the basil leaves, stir well and simmer for 30 minutes
Although cannelloni beans are delicious, they can be a little hard unless cooked for a lot longer than this so I find that partially crushing them first allows then to absorb a little more stock and have a little less bite..
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#sausageandbeancasserole #beans #basilleaves #oliveoil #sausages #garlic #simmer #chiliflakes #fry #freshlygroundpepper #redwine