Sausage, Spinach and Egg Bake
The hearty sausage roast is reproduced courtesy of debbie&andrew's sausages.
Perfect Cumberland Sausages and mushrooms with spinach and baked eggs, covered in cheese sauce and baked until golden. A quick, delicious weekend brunch, this is one-pan cooking at its best just serve at the table and let everyone tuck in.
for the bake
- 100g mushrooms, fried and sliced (I used re-hydrated wild mushrooms)
- 4 free range eggs
- Oil for cooking
- Butter for cooking (use a Dairy Free alternative if preferred)
for the cheese sauce:
- 30g butter
- 25g plain flour (use gluten free if preferred)
- 350ml milk (use a Dairy Free alternative if preferred)
- 130g grated cheese (use a Dairy Free alternative if preferred)
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat your grill
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the flour to make a roux and cook off for 3 minutes.
- Slowly pour in the milk, stirring to create a béchamel. Cook for 5-6 minutes, mixing so the bottom doesnt catch.
- Add the cheese, season, take off the heat and cover with greaseproof paper so a skin doesnt form.
- Fry off the mushrooms in a knob of butter, season and rest on a plate.
- Fry the sausage slices in the same pan with some oil for 3-4 minutes until they start to caramelise. Transfer to the same plate as the mushrooms.
- Add a little more oil to the pan, then break in the eggs. As soon as they start to go white, scatter the sausages, mushrooms and spinach over them.
- Next and as quickly as possible pour the cheese sauce over the top, sprinkle with the remaining cheese and place under the hot grill until golden and bubbling.
- Serve in the pan immediately.
Serve directly from the pan, immediately.
Serve with potatoes for a hearty supper
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.
This recipe originated from the recipe section of debbieandandrew.co.uk
Many thanks to debbie&andrew's sausages for kindly giving Cookipedia permission to use the their recipes.